pErCePTiOnS redefined - tHe arT oF SlOwing doWn

I recently traveled from Thimphu (Capital city of Bhutan) to
Bumthang (Eastern Bhutan) with three of my favorite vintage cameras: a Mamiya 330 F, a Yashica 635, and a Nikkormat. I carried fresh rolls of film: Kodak Cine film 250D, Kodak Gold, Kodak Cinefilm 200T, Ilford Black and White, and Kodak Ektar. I decided not to use my digital camera at all and to shoot only on film.

This choice made me slow down and think more about each shot. At every place I visited, I stood still for 10-15 minutes, feeling the atmosphere and being mindful of my senses. I only raised my camera to take a photo when I truly felt a connection with the scene.
Many times, I saw something beautiful but chose not to capture it. I found joy in simple things and was often fascinated by how people reacted to my presence. The smells, sights, colors, and textures of each place created a special feeling inside me. Sometimes, it was just the sounds around me that caught my attention.
This journey has changed me. I feel calmer and more positive. By focusing on the art of photography and thinking deeply about what I see, I have learned to appreciate the world around me more. Over the 10 days, I took only 248 frames. This is a small number in today’s world where digital images are everywhere.
Through this journey, I am trying to return to the basics of photography and find the best in myself. I have learned that the real beauty of photography lies in truly experiencing each moment before capturing it.

Comments

Post a Comment