LESSON 3 - Painting & Photography



Painting credits: Google (The Gleaners by Jean-François Millet)

As a photographer, I’ve always been fascinated by the interplay between painting and photography. While they are distinct art forms, painting has influenced my creative process and vision. Looking at the photograph of farmers harvesting potatoes alongside the iconic painting "The Gleaners" by Jean-François Millet, I can see how elements like composition, color palette, and the use of light are shared across both mediums. For young photographers, understanding this connection can help in developing your visual sense.

Painters approach their work with an intention to guide the viewer’s gaze. This is something we, as photographers, can learn from. For example, in "The Gleaners," Millet positions his subjects thoughtfully, creating a balance that draws attention to the figures bending over their work. Similarly, when I frame a shot in a field or a street, I draw on this principle to create depth.

Colors in paintings also provide inspiration. The earthy tones in "The Gleaners" creates a sense of harmony and grounding. Experimenting with analogous or complementary colors, much like painters do, can make your photographs visually compelling.

Lastly, studying the emotion and mood conveyed in paintings can influence how you capture moments. The painting’s atmosphere mirrors the daily routine of the farmers at work in the photograph. By observing how painters evoke feelings, I’ve learned to be more intentional about the mood I wish to convey.


Comments