MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE
Analogue photography and Mindfulness!
As an analogue photographer, I find that each medium of art, whether it's poetry, film, music, or painting, has always been a testimony of history, a means of self-expression, and a form of therapy. For me, the process of analogue photography itself is a mindful practice. From the moment I choose the film, to the act of shooting each frame and advancing the lever, to finally holding the negatives against the light, there's a natural and deliberate process that grounds me. Tangible art allows my mind to fully engage with each step of the journey. Just as sculpting clay develops hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills, the act of weighing each shot in analogue photography teaches me patience and focus.
When I sift through audio cassettes to find that one specific song, I'm reminded of the purpose and patience required in analogue photography. Both acts are meditative, forcing me to slow down and be present in the moment. Marshall McLuhan, the historian and mass communication theorist, once said, "The Medium is the Message." His insight into the significance of the medium resonates deeply with me. The medium I choose carries its own weight and meaning—one that digital processes, which anyone can replicate with a phone, simply cannot reproduce.
So, when I create a successful image or a set of images, I know that I made them. They are a product of my intention, my patience, and my presence in the moment. That realization gives me a profound sense of self-worth, knowing that my art is not just a result of technology, but a true reflection of my mindful practice.


Beautifully written, sir. The way you recreate and archive time and space through your photography practice is truly mesmerizing. It’s one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and constantly inspires me to learn more.
ReplyDelete